Sunday, September 2, 2012

Sweet Potato Celery Bisque

I just got back from a lovely vacation to Kufri,where all I did was eat, trek, hike, and eat some more. The butter on my paranthas will come back to haunt me, I just know it. So I started eating healthy and light, and found some wonderful gems to support my mission.

This healthy, filling, flavourful bisque is very, very loosely adapted from this recipe, which I have used more for an idea guideline. I always wanted to try out a vegetarian bisque. The beauty of this is its minimal ingredients, and ease of cooking.

Servings: 4
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 12-15 mins.




Ingredients:
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped roughly
1 medium firm, slightly ripe apple, chopped, with skin on (I used Granny Smith here)
1 small celery bunch, roughly chopped
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt, as needed
black peppercorns, coarsely ground, 1 teaspoon
Water, about 1 and half cups.
1 tablespoon grated sharp cheddar cheese

Method:
In a deep pan, add the olive oil and onions and slightly sauté.
Add the sweet potatoes, apples, and a pinch of salt. cover and cook for about 2 mins on a medium flame
Add the celery, and cover for another minute.
Add the water, cover, and boil for about 10 mins on high.
Once cool, purée with a hand blender (or in a mixer/food processor), but not too smooth.
Add salt, pepper (I like mine hot so I used more pepper here), and more water if needed.
Serve warm with grate cheese on top.



No comments: